Simon & Schuster UK Ltd recognises our environmental responsibility and is dedicated to safeguarding a healthy and sustainable environment for future generations. Our mission is to consistently conduct our business in a socially, ethically and environmentally responsible manner.
Through managing the environmental impacts of our everyday practices, we aim to motivate our colleagues, clients and suppliers to take action to create a significant and lasting awareness of environmental responsibility within the publishing industry.
There are two distinct areas of our business that we recognise to have adverse environmental impacts:
1. Through the physical production of our books
2. Day-to-day in our workplace
In both aspects, our fundamental impacts are:
· The consumption of resources through our use of energy, raw materials, general supplies and equipment
· The production of waste materials
· The environmental performance of our suppliers
· Emissions to atmosphere from the use of carbon based energy and fuel in transport including all delivery services both in-coming and out-going.
· Focus on the three ‘R’s - Reduce consumption/waste/pollution at source wherever practicable, Re-use where possible and Recycle remaining waste.
· Both in the workplace and through the production of our books; endeavour to buy, sell and use products that have been sourced in an environmentally-friendly, socially responsible and economically viable manner. Recording our progress each quarter.
· Always take in to consideration the environmental ethics and performance of suppliers and service providers to ensure that we only work with those that share our values.
· Strive to conserve energy/natural resources, measuring and monitoring our progress.
· Our established ‘Green Initiative Committee’ will meet each quarter to monitor and review the progress, and to discuss new ideas and best practices.
· Continue to educate ourselves on new developments, to stay up-to-date to ensure we are doing the best we can to respect the law and protect the environment.
· Ensure that our environmental initiatives are open and accessible to all employees, by issuing regular newsletters and updates.
To deliver this Policy, Simon & Schuster UK Ltd makes the following commitments:
· Ensure we always comply with all relevant legislation and regulations
· Work to continually improve our environmental performance
· Measure our progress annually, and report this both internally and externally