The Farm by Tom Rob Smith
Get a FREE e-book by joining our mailing list today!
Get our latest book recommendations, author news, competitions, offers, and other information right to your inbox.
By clicking 'Sign me up' I confirm that I'd like to receive updates, special offers, including partner offers, and other information from Simon & Schuster Inc. and the Simon & Schuster family of companies. I understand I can change my preference through my account settings or unsubscribe directly from any marketing communications at any time. We will send you an email with instructions on how to redeem your free eBook, and associated terms.
Reading Group Questions
1. We first meet Daniel’s mother, who is in a distressed state, at the airport in London. What are your first impressions of Tilde?
2. Throughout the novel the primary narration shifts from Daniel to Tilde and back again. Why do you think the author did this, rather than retaining Daniel as the main narrator of the whole story?
3. As he listens to the differing accounts of his mother and father, Daniel is forced to question their convictions. What would you do if you were faced with the same predicament?
4. Daniel’s father Chris believes Tilde is suffering a psychotic episode. Are there points in the novel that make you believe this diagnosis, and conversely, make you wonder if Tilde’s claims are true?
5. What role does the landscape, particularly the Swedish landscape, play in the novel?
6. Daniel refers to growing up with to the mythology of trolls. What do these details and images add to the book?
7. How do you think what happened to Freja in the summer of 1963 effected Tilde?
8. Do your opinions of Chris, Tilde and Håkan change throughout the novel, and how?
9. What was your reaction to the scene where Chris and Tilde are picking mushrooms?
10. Why do you think the author included the story of The Princess Troll
towards the end of the book?
11. Like his parents, Daniel is also keeping a secret. Do you think it’s ever OK to keep secrets within a family?
12. What do you think about the way the novel ends? Were you satisfied and were all of your questions answered?