Everything about Morning Leaves is calming, soothing, peaceful, and then engaging. . . [Laing] has illuminated a road map, of sorts, for each new reader to find their own path forward towards healing and acceptance.
– Mel Yoakum, Ph.D., curator and author of Francoise Gilot: Monograph 1940-2000
With spare, lyrical verses, Rikkers brings us into commune with the earth, with all of life; connecting us with ourselves, with each other.
– Tucker Malarkey, author of An Obvious Enchantment, Resurrection, and Stronghold
So beautifully written and thoughtfully constructed. Visceral. Visual. Vulnerable. The passages cracked open my heart.
– Amy K. Hutchens, international award-winning speaker and Amazon bestselling author of Get It and The Secrets Leaders Keep
Through Morning Leaves, Laing has found an elegant, beautiful way to deal with her loss.
– Nils Peterson, first Poet Laureate of Santa Clara County and author of The Comedy of Desire
This is a beautiful book. I think it will be very helpful to people navigating grief or loss, pointing the way to finding meaning and solace in connecting to plants, animals and the rhythms of nature.
– Edward Slingerland, author of Drunk and Trying Not to Try and Professor of Philosophy at the University of British Columbia
The voice is beautiful, delicate, powerful, rich, relatable, clear, articulate, whimsical and penetrating.
– Reverend Elizabeth Uslander, MSW, MTS and co-founder of Empowered Endings Medical Group
Beautiful, powerful, humbling, painful, at times terrifying – all one messy mix. It touches somewhere deep. Will read again and again to digest and fuel.
– Dr. Elizabeth Andrews, psychologist
Dedicated to [Rikkers'] late sister Ginna, [Morning Leaves] makes a meaningful argument for the power of quiet observation in the midst of chaos, and an appreciation for the beauty and wisdom which is all around.
– Anna Holmes, an award-winning writer, editor at publications including The New York Times, Washington Post, and The New Yorker, and founder of the site Jezebel
Laing bravely lifts her raw pain and willingness to listen to the lessons offered by the natural world during her morning walks and waits for the metaphors to be revealed...The striking illustrations by Kelly Leahy Radding perfectly accompany this journey, underscoring its fragility, unique gifts, and profound unfolding beauty.
– Kitty O'Meara, bestselling author of And the People Stayed Home, The Rare, Tiny Flower and Oliver and the Night Giants
The story that this book tells is certainly valuable to anyone who has not ‘stopped to smell the roses.’
– Neal Seltzer, DMD, FAGD, D-ABDSM, D-ACSDD, D-ASBA
Rikkers’ beautiful volume demonstrates how artistic endeavors can become healing balms.
– Bonnie Smith Whitehouse, Author of Seasons of Wonder: Making the Ordinary Sacred Through Projects, Prayers, Reflections, and Rituals, Afoot and Lighthearted: A Log for Mindful Walking, and Kickstart Creativity: 50 Prompted Cards to Spark Inspiration
Laing’s beautiful poems offer reflections of her deep connection with the simple beauty that exists all around us, and allows the reader a glimpse beyond what the eyes see, into what the soul experiences. The poems are soothing and provocative at the same time.
– Dr. Bob Uslander, co-founder of Empowered Endings Medical Group
Morning Leaves is a gift to all who open their eyes to its images and their hearts to its whispers and exhortations.
– Faith Salie, Emmy-winning contributor to CBS News Sunday Morning and author of Approval Junkie
The poems within Morning Leaves are tender, compassionate and full of wonder. Laing's writing and Kelly's illustrations are conduits for healing and hope.
– Kristin A. Meekhof, M.S.W., co-author of A Widow's Guide to Healing
This book is for everyone whether grieving or craving a connection to your soul...This is a retreat for your soul. This is a way to connect to your heart. This is a way to slow down and truly see the interconnections of all of life. This is love.
– Jessica Zemple, author of Shuck This Way, contributor to the HuffPost, Inc.com, and Forbes, and professional Life and Business Coach