From Chapter 3: Angels and Archangels: A Little Help Here?
The class had gone well, and I smiled as I was getting ready to leave “Attitude Adjustment,” the house/sacred space on Emerald Isle, North Carolina, where I had been teaching a Reiki Master Teacher class all day.
It had been a special class, with only one student: Father Everett Thomas, the local parish priest of St. Francis by the Sea parish, a lovely church with lovely people and an outdoor labyrinth that is well worth visiting if you ever find yourself in the area.
We were finishing early. Father Everett’s lovely wife Phyllis was terminally ill, and he was hurrying back to her side. In fact, Phyllis, also a Reiki teacher, had insisted that Father Everett do his Master level training with me at that time, probably the only reason he was there.
The day had gone well, and I was very relaxed, so when I saw that my keys were not where I thought they should be, I simply called out, “A little help, here?”
“Of course,” Father Everett said kindly. “What can I help you with?”
Before answering him, my head turned (that is usually how it feels as though my eyesight is being directed, either physically or in my mind’s eye, to where the lost object lies), and I saw the keys sitting exactly where they should not have been, where I would never have thought to look: resting on the tank in back of the toilet in the guest bathroom. Got it! I sent out a grateful thought of Thanks! before turning again to face the music, trying to decide what to tell the curious elder priest standing in my living room waiting for an answer.
I decided to simply tell him the truth.
“Well, thank you, Father, but I wasn’t asking for your help. I couldn’t find my keys and was asking the Angels for help.” (More specifically, Archangel Chamuel, the St. Anthony of the Archangels, but I felt no need to divulge anything further.)
This piqued his curiosity, and I found myself explaining as we left that I live alone and have the habit of speaking out loud to the Angels around me. I had simply forgotten that he was there, or I would have asked for help silently.
The priest was intrigued, as Angels are often left out of church worship, except at Christmas time. A year later, he came back to Attitude Adjustment and began to do the work outlined in this book, joining the Angel workshops I teach on the island.
No Job Too Small for Angels
Sometimes people ask, incredulously, how I can ask Angels for help with small things like finding lost keys or parking spots. They feel that we shouldn’t be “bothering” Angels with such things.
Nothing could be farther from reality!
First, Angels are expressions of the Source and as such have no limitations: nothing is too taxing for them. Furthermore, they yearn to be in connection with us and ease our journey in support of our life mission.
Second, Angels want to serve as a safe haven for us. With no judgment, they seek to help us to relax and shine. Are we relaxed when we can’t find our keys? Are we shining when we can’t find a parking spot? Not really! So, when the Angels assist us in such seemingly small things, they are really lightening the load of stress and increasing the peace in our lives and on Earth.
For us, it is often easier to entrust the small stuff to the Angels as we begin our relationship building. Then, as we develop the reflex to pass our burdens over to the Angels (“A little help, here?”), our confidence builds, and we relax.
Again, the judgment around what is big or little is ours alone; to the Angels, both are big, as both are experiences that allow us to bond with them and remember.
Exercise: Seeking with Archangel Chamuel
1. Connect with your breath, and come into a peaceful place of quiet. Decide what it is you are seeking and how you are going to let Archangel Chamuel (who lives for such moments!) assist a child of God (you) to find what is important to you at this time.
2. Anchor (ground) yourself, following your ribbon of light into the center of the earth, then open to the highest good with your intention, tracing your channel of light from the center of the earth through the body up to the heavens. Return to your heart to set your intention, both as a human being and on a soul level.
3. Sit, feet planted solidly on the ground, shoulder width apart, shoulders pulled back so that your spinal column is straight. Allow the arms to relax at your sides, palms facing forward in a position of energetic openness. Breathe in the presence of Angels and Archangels all around you. Breathe out anything that blocks your opening to them. Allow yourself to fill with Light and peace, with a sense of the Love that is there for you; to feel, perhaps, the Joy that your presence brings into this space. Take three or four deep breaths at least before continuing.
4. With your eyes closed, imagine that Archangel Chamuel stands before you and awaits your accord before He undertakes to assist you in finding what it is you are seeking.
5. Breathe in again. Imagine, or simply think about, what it is you are seeking. If it is a thing, remember what it looks like, how it feels, but most of all, imagine how you will feel to find it. What Joy! Peace! Excitement! How wonderful to have assistance in finding what we most need. If you are seeking something less tangible, like the right job or relationship, imagine how you will feel to find it, then leave the details to Chamuel and the Angels. . . .