If you visit this Website or provide information to us via this Website (i.e. by entering competitions, signing up for email newsletters or participating in the interactive features (including the message boards)) then you are agreeing to us collecting and using your information as set out below.
If you are under 16 please ask your parent or guardian to read this policy to make sure they are happy for you to use this Website and provide information to the Website (if relevant).
If you do not want to agree to this policy or if you are under 16 and your parent or guardian is not happy for you to provide information to this Website then please do not use or submit information to this Website.
- About us
- What is personal data?
- Information that may be collected about you
- How will we use your information?
- Disclosure of information to others
- Cookies, collection of IP addresses and clickstream data
- Updating your information and your rights to the personal information we hold
- Special notice to parents
- Special notice to children
- Contact information
1. About us
The Website is provided on behalf of Simon & Schuster (UK) Limited of Mitre House, 160 Aldersgate Street, London EC1A 4DD ("Simon & Schuster," "us" or "we"). Simon & Schuster Digital, a division of Simon & Schuster, Inc. of 1230 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY, 10020 assists Simon & Schuster in providing this Website.
We can be reached by email at: email@example.com
Simon & Schuster is registered with the Information Commissioner with registration number Z8992291 and is committed to safeguarding and respecting your privacy in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998. This Act provides a framework to ensure that personal information is collected and handled properly and gives individuals the right to know what information is held about them. Please see www.ico.gov.uk for more information.
2. What is personal data?
Personal data is any information that can be used to identify an individual (whether on its own or in connection with other information we hold). For example the following can be considered to be personal data: your name, street address, phone number, date of birth and email address.
3. Information that may be collected about you
- When you register to receive email newsletters or alerts, post messages on the message boards or reader comments or enter a competition on our Website you will be asked to provide certain information about yourself which may include your name, email, gender and phone number;
- If you are between the ages of 12 - 15 you must seek parental consent prior to providing any information to the website. If you are under 12 years of age you are not permitted to provide any information to the website.
- You may post information when you interact with the Website (such as your personal opinion/reviews) on our message boards or as reader comments; If you contact us via the Website, for example by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org we may keep a record of that email or comment;
- We may collect details of your visits to our Website including, but not limited to, IP address, traffic data, location data and other communication data and the areas of the Website that you access. Please see section 7 below for further details.
Note that registration with the Website is entirely voluntary however you will be unable to access or use certain parts of the Website if you are not a registered user.
4. How will we use your information?
Personal information may be used by us to:
- operate and administer the Website and allow you to participate in the interactive features of the Website (where you choose to do so)- for example by publishing your comments on the message boards, running competitions and notifying winners;
- identify you and provide you with access to certain parts of the Website - for example, you will not be able to post on the message boards unless you register for this;
- send you email newsletters and other information which we think may be of interest to you and for related marketing purposes if you have requested that we do this (ie by submitting your contact details to us for these purposes or ticking any relevant consents);
- market third party products and services, if you have consented to this;
- prevent you from posting illegal, offensive or objectionable material on the Website (including on the message boards);
- notify you of any changes to our Website or our services;
- improve the products and services we offer;
- make the Website better and otherwise better meet the needs and preferences of Simon & Schuster customers. For example we may look to see which is the most popular part of the Website or which features you like to visit on the Website.
5. Disclosure of information to others
We do not share your personal data with third parties except as set out in this policy.
We may disclose to, and share your information with, third parties in the following circumstances:-
- where you wish to use the "Email a friend" function on the Website, we will disclose your identity to the recipient of the email message;
- we may disclose your personal data to any company within the Simon & Schuster group of companies. We use best efforts to ensure that personal data is treated confidentially within the Simon & Schuster group;
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- to protect the rights, property or safety of Simon & Schuster, any company within the Simon & Schuster group of companies (including Simon & Schuster, Inc) or users of the Website;
- to service providers who manage aspects of our operations (for example third parties who host the Website).
We may pass aggregate information on the use of this Website to third parties but this will not include information which could be used to identify you.
Except as set out above or required by law or regulatory authority, we will not otherwise sell or give any personal information you provide to this Website to any other person unless you agree that we can.
Please remember that when you voluntarily post material to a public area of this Website that this may always be collected and used by others. We cannot prevent such uses. Please do think very carefully about the type of information which you wish to provide to public areas of the Website.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will try and protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent access by unauthorised persons and any unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage.
7. Cookies, collection of IP addresses and clickstream data
For further information on cookies visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Cookies make it easier for you to log on to and use the Website during future visits. You may set up your computer to reject cookies by the privacy settings for your web browser, (usually located under the Tools menu - choose Internet Options, then Privacy) although, in that case, you may not be able to use a few features on our Website.
IP addresses and clickstream data
Our server automatically collects data about your internet address when you visit us. This information, known as an Internet Protocol address, or IP Address, is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer by your internet service provider whenever you are on the internet. When you request pages from our Website, our servers may log your IP Address and sometimes your domain name. Our server may also record the referring page that linked you to us (e.g., another website or a search engine); the pages you visit on this Website; the website you visit after this Website; other information about the type of web browser, computer, platform, related software and settings you are using; any search terms you have entered on this Website or a referral site; and other web usage activity and data logged by our web servers.
The information allows us to create a user profile that aids in understanding the types of people that visit our Website. We use this information for internal system administration, to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer and improve our Website. Such information may also be used to gather broad demographic information, such as country of origin and Internet Service Provider.
This Website contains links to or from other websites. We are not responsible for the data collection practices of any websites linked to the Website, nor does our linking constitute association with, sponsorship or endorsement of the content or practices on these websites.
9. Updating your information and your rights to the personal information we hold
If you wish to unsubscribe from email newsletters or alerts you may do so at any time by clicking on the "unsubscribe" link that appears in our emails or unsubscribing via instructions contained on the Website.
We aim to keep any personal information we hold up to date, accurate and error free. Please help us to keep your information accurate and up to date by notifying us of any relevant changes in the personal data we hold about you. You can also ask us to correct any personal data we hold about you. In your request, please specify which data is inaccurate, and what corrections you want us to make. You can contact us for these purposes at email@example.com. If you need to correct any personal data provided in connection with your registration for newsletters and/or alerts or to modify your preferences, please click on Newsletters and Alerts submit your email and you will be taken to a page where you can manage your account. Please click on Community to manage your community board registration. To update your account information, click on Accounts located at the top of each page on www.simonandschuster.com. You will then see options to modify your account information.
You have certain rights to see information we hold about you. Any request for such information may be subject to a small fee to meet our costs in providing you with such details. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like further information on this.
You may ask us to remove any personal information we hold about you. We will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify your personal information in accordance with legal obligations.
10. Special Notice to parents
We are committed to protecting the safety and respecting the privacy of children who visit our Website. For those activities that require us to collect personal data we will only collect such information necessary to enable us to administer such activity. Simon & Schuster encourages you to watch over your children's use of the internet and ask your children to seek your permission before providing information about themselves or their family over the internet.
11. Special notice to children
Remember to carefully think about the information you send or post via the internet and to ask your parent or guardian for permission before you send any personal information (e.g. your name, email, name of your school) to this Website.
13. Contact Information